This last year I have had a big project. We have always wanted to have chicken and the plan was to build a chicken coop during my parental leave. It took me a year until I started with the work.
As I usually do, I first made a digital model.
The physical work started mid-January. First, I had to move a little hill of dirt. Then the holes for the foundation was dug. Progress was slow but steady.
By February I had the foundation ready, but work slowed down a bit from then on. Other things had higher priorities.
As the fall (no we didn’t get any winter) turned to spring work continued. Somehow, I wasn’t documenting every step and suddenly I hade most of the outer boards up.
As summer came, I started insulating the house. We got some paper-based insulation as it is much nicer to work with (and more environmentally friendly).
As summer was about to end, and with it my parental leave too I got in a bit of a hurry. I painted the coop and built the enclosure. Then I got some net to keep the foxes out.
There was some more cleaning to do. All the bricks and other trash I found inside hade to be moved out.
We got notice from our friends that they wanted to get rid of their chicken, so we had to act fast. I got the net up over the enclosure. Built the “furniture” for the house and all the other small parts that were to be made. But by the end of October we were ready for our new family members to move in.
And then on a Monday morning the chicken arrived. They seem to like their new place. We got one rooster and six hens.
We are so happy this finally is done and now we are waiting for our first eggs. Most Hens don’t lay that many eggs in the late fall, but maybe we’ll get some for Christmas.